Above-Ground Poly Tank Installation
Poly Tank Sitting Information
Correct Method for Sitting an Above Ground Poly Tank:
The water tank base preparation details outlined below employ the same method for all round design, slimline design and under deck design Duraplas brand poly rainwater tanks.
- Your Duraplas poly water tank needs to be sited on LEVEL STABLE GROUND which has UNIFORM COMPACTION (free of soft spots), with a screeding of 75 – 100 mm of builders’ sand or metal dust (approx. 3 mm diameter stone). Being a loose aggregate, the sand or metal dust must be retained using a solid form of retaining structure such as cement strips or rectangular treated pine sleepers or round treated pine poles available from most landscaping suppliers, garden nursery’s and hardware stores. Each pad must be oversize to the footprint of the dimensions of the water tank purchased (we recommend a minimum 100mm larger in all directions)
- Alternatively your Duraplas tank can be sited on a reinforced concrete slab which must be 25mpa [approx 75-100mm thick with F72 mesh] that is level, flat and larger than the base of the tank. Consult an engineer for slab details.
- It is also best practice to ensure the water tank overflow is plumbed away from the water tank and base, ideally back to existing storm water drainage, or if no such drainage exists, to a designated rubble pit –The overflow water must not be left to simply cascade down the side of the water tank to the base of the tank, where it will likely lead to erosion of the metal dust pad. Any warranty pertaining to your Duraplas water tank will be voided, if this is allowed to occur.
- If your water tank is being sited next to the wall of a house, shed or other structure, it is highly recommended that an air gap of at least 50 mm is made available to for air flow, in order to prevent condensation and build-up of moisture.
Correct Method for Sitting Tank Half Way in Ground:
- Prepare hole. Ensure that the surrounding soil left in the walls of the hole is solid, leaving a 150 – 200 mm gap to allow positioning the tanks, and back-filling with sand or metal dust, stabilised with cement dust.
- If there is major water seepage into the hole from the surrounding soil, the site will not be suitable. Make sure tank site is drained well. Consult your engineer for drainage design.
- A base of 75-100 mm of sand or crusher dust (no greater then 3mm stone) must be put in the hole and compacted.
- Tank must be lowered into the hole squarely by crane, ensure stainless steel lifting lugs are fitted to the tank and are used to lift (we fit these at factory, upon request, prior to dispatch)
- Tank must then be filled with water above ground height, then back filled with bedding sand or metal dust. Cement stabilise this fill medium.
- It is important that tanks be buried into ground up to ONLY three quarters (3/4 or 75%) of its wall height. (It is also recommended to use a Heavy Duty grade of tank [HDT] for its extra wall thickness).
- It is recommended that your outlet pick up, from the tank, comes through the tank roof, or alternative plumbing from base outlet will be required.
- If there are 2 x 90 mm inlets coming into the tank you will require at least 2 x 90 mm overflow pipes.
- Overflow water must be piped away from the tank.
- Please be aware Duraplas Stresses that all the above steps MUST be adhered and any damage incurred to the tank due to its burial will not be warranted, the above information is to be used as a guideline only. Please seek engineer’s advice if in any doubt as to the suitability of the site.
Note: On Projects where a Tank is required to comply or be certified to AS4766:2020, Partial Burial of your Duraplas Round, Slimline or Under-deck tank may result in compliance or certification of that product to Australia standards (AS4766:2020) being voided.
Using a Tank Stand:
- It is recommended that you contact an engineer to ensure that a suitable stand is provided to meet any relevant requirements. Remember every litre of water is 1kg in weight.
Be Sure to NOT Make these Errors:
- Rocky and uneven ground with little or no base preparation.
- Must not have undersized base. The total circumference of the tank must be supported. Ideally, allow the pad to be 100mm wider than the tank.
- Wooden sleepers are generally too uneven and untrue to use for base.
- Don’t use corrugated iron decking as a base.
Important Points When Plumbing Tanks:
- Always ensure that overflow water is plumbed away from the tank. This will reduce site erosion and ensure a sturdy support for the base of your tank. Regularly check the overflow screen and clean when necessary.
2. Underground Tank Installation
Underground Water Tank Installation Video.Please use this Video as a reference only complete installation Instructions can be downloaded from the link above.
3. Steel Tank Installation
- Click here to view steel tank installation instructions (opens in new window)(PDF)
"Today I experienced the best customer service I could imagine." — T MarkerHi the tank factory, Today I experienced the best customer service I could imagine . - I needed to arrange people to help with the delivery / installation . - Delivery was made 5 minutes within ETA - The driver assured me, there was no reason to be concerned about what was going to happen . - I had 3 people with me to assist the exercise . - The driver explained how things would happen with safety being paramount . - It happened as he said it would . The 3 people I had to help were a 23 y/0 labour // 45 y/o fireman // 50 y/o sales rep . We all agreed that the driver was somebody that " the tank factory ' should be very proud of as an employee . Congratulations -- he is the face of your business to the client like me . My invoice number was 4574 . Regards,
"I congratulate you and The tank Factory staff not only on the presentation of the tank but the communication and assistance thoughtout" — Ray and LorraineGood Morning Russell, Lorraine and I would like to pass on our thanks and congratulate you and The tank Factory staff not only on the presentation of the tank but the communication and assistance thought out, the colour is brilliant and matches the roof exactly. It was a pleasure to deal with such a firm please pass on our thanks to all concerned including Rod who delivered the tank he is an asset to the company. Although he would have looked better with his NSW cap on I am also from NSW and my mate Peter could not say much as we were 2 against 1 him all in good fun. All this would not have been possible had it not been for you many thanks and all the best for the future. Regards, Ray and Lorraine
"Our tank looks amazing. Great product and excellent service... thank you!" — Sue and SteveHi there, We ordered a 22,700 litre water tank via The Tank Factory and our tank was delivered today by Murray. We would just like to say thank you for the fantastic service we received from Russell at the Tank Factory and from Murray. Murray arrived when he said he would, placed the tank expertly on the pad and all this was done with a wonderful attitude.Our tank looks amazing. Great product and excellent service... thank you! Kind regards, Sue and Steve
"I would have no hesitation in recommending The Tank Factory to my friends and associates based on this experience" — BobJay/Russell, The tanks arrived today and I just wanted to say that the driver who delivered the tanks (Rod) was very good in keeping us informed on delivery time and displayed great customer service with the delivery and discussions about the tanks with both myself and plumber. He certainly is a credit to your company and I would have no hesitation in recommending The Tank Factory to my friends and associates based on this experience. Please forward this email to the Head of your Customer service section. Thanks Bob
"It has been a pleasure doing business with you and I would have no hesitation in recommending you to friends. " — DerekGood morning, We got our tank yesterday morning as promised. Many thanks to Nathan for his guidance and help in getting the tank into the right spot. His attitude and friendliness are a credit to both himself and your company. It has been a pleasure doing business with you and I would have no hesitation in recommending you to friends. Regards, Derek
"We are very happy to see our tanks on site and delivered safely" — Mary KlazemaHi Russell, As discussed on the phone, I just wanted to commend the delivery team who delivered and installed our tanks. Jim and the boys were very professional and are a credit to the Tankworks team (who deliver the steel range of tanks for The Tank Factory). Our property has a steep driveway and Jim manoeuvred the truck so skilfully, his driving skills are outstanding which allowed the tanks to be unloaded with minimal fuss. They worked cooperatively and professionally. Thank you to all, We are very happy to see our tanks on site and delivered safely, From, Mary Klazema
"Your professionalism and service were outstanding throughout the purchase" — Matt MeuryLuke, apologies for not sending this sooner. I would like to THANK yourself and the whole team for all your help organising and delivering my new water tank. Your professionalism and service were outstanding throughout the purchase. I was always kept up to date and nothing was too hard. Well done Luke and the team. I cant speak more highly of Duraplas. Please forward this to John. Regards, Matt Meury
"It is always a pleasure to interface with men of this calibre. Thank you" — Rowley & Clare from Dorrigo, NSWOn 1-Oct, two 5,000 gallon tanks were delivered to our rural property outside Dorrigo. I merely write to compliment you on your delivery team of Bert & Mick who are a credit to your company. Firstly, they kept us informed of their expected arrival time. Secondly, we found them to be top “can do” blokes who skilfully off-loaded both tanks precisely where we wanted them. It is always a pleasure to interface with men of this calibre. Thank you Rowley & Clare, Dorrigo, NSW
— TateHello, Out tanks were delivered this week as planned.. Just wanted to let you know the delivery guy was exceptionally nice and helpful.. Thats on top of the whole ordering process being easy. Please keep doing what you are doing 🙂 Look forward to ordering from you in the future. Regards Tate
"Considering the quality of your product, I believe I received the best available product for a good price" — Alex from Stokers SidingI recently purchased a tank online (Inv 6692) that was delivered by Tweed Tanks last week. This is the 4th Duraplas tank I have purchased. I wish to commend the delivery driver on his prompt & professional service. The experience was positive & exceeded any expectation I had. I would also like to commend you on delivering a quality product. The price was not the cheapest but was extrememly competative & I chose to support a local company. Considering the quality of your product, I believe I received the best available product for a good price. I will continue to recommend & use your products. Regards, Alex from Stokers Siding