How much water do you use?
Common Household Water Uses
|Action:||Amount of water used:|
|Toilet flush single cistern||10 litres||2.2 gallons|
|Toilet flush dual single flush||5 litres||1.1 gallons|
|Toilet flush dual full flush||10 litres||2.2 gallons|
|Bath||100 litres||21.9 gallons|
|Shower (10 minutes)||200 litres||43.9 gallons|
|Dishwasher load||50 litres||10.9 gallons|
|Washing machine load||150 litres||32.9 gallons|
|Drinking, cooking, cleaning
per person per day
|10 litres||2.2 gallons|
|Hand basin per use||5 litres||1.1 gallons|
|Garden sprinkler per hour||1000 litres||210.0 gallons|
|Garden drippier per hour||4 litres||0.9 gallons|
|Car washing with hose||200 litres||43.9 gallons|
|Hosing driveway||100 litres||21.9 gallons|
|Brushing teeth with tap running||5 litres||1.1 gallons|
Fun Water Facts
- Water or ice covers about 80% of the world.
- Only 1% of the world’s water is suitable for human needs, 97% is salt water in the ocean and 2% is ice.
- An average person can survive for nearly two months without food, but less than a week without drinking water.
- The human body loses 3 to 3.5 litres of water in an average day. This may be Increased by exer-cise and climatic conditions.
- An average tap flows at a rate of 20 litres per minute, depending on how far it’s turned on.